Open any video page of the supported websites, eg: this video on YouTube, click the extension icon on the browser toolbar, and the extension subtitle menus will pop up.
Dualsub has two working modes:
|Working Mode||Rendering Method||Avaiable Websites||Depends Dualsub Server|
|Standard Mode||General rendering method||All websites||Yes, has paid features|
|Simple Mode||Native rendering method||Only YouTube||No, no paid features|
Two working modes can be used at the same time, which is convenient for you to compare the subtitle processing and displaying.
Each row of menus controls a subtitle language, each row has 3 menus, and their functions are as follows:
- Subtitle Language: Select the original language of the subtitle, which is provided by the website itself.
- Machine Translation: Use machine to translate the original language into another language.
- Theme Style: Select the theme style of subtitles.
The simplest usage is select the subtitle languages in the "Subtitle Language" menus, and the other menus keep in "Close", then you can see the two subtitle languages are displayed.
Simple mode is only available on YouTube, which is convenient for users who "too lazy to do any settings, just simply display one more subtitle language".
- The simple mode subtitle menus will take over the website subtitle menus, but the website subtitle button still controls whether to display subtitles.
- The machine translation will get the translation from the YouTube server, not from the Dualsub server, so there is no need to paid.
- Most functions designed for standard mode are not available.
Standard mode provides better machine translation result, especially for "auto-generated" subtitles, see Improve YouTube Translation for details.
The following operations are based on the default settings.
Use different font sizes
Select "First Subtitle" and "Second Subtitle" in the "Theme Style" menus respectively.
Add pinyin for Chinese
- "Subtitle Language" menu select Chinese.
- "Theme Style" menu select "Chinese Learning".
Add furigana for Japanese
- "Subtitle Language" menu select Japanese.
- "Theme Style" menu select "Japanese Learning".
By default, only add hiragana for kanji, and the underline indicates the segmentation of statement.